Saturday, July 7, 2012

Dinner@El Choquito, La Ramblas

It takes quite a long while to get accustomed to the long daylight timing in Barcelona. The sun rises at 530 am and sets at nearly 10 pm.

During summer/ siesta season in Spain, locals dine late and start their daily work activities late too. Dinners usually start at 9 pm, and if one requests to have dinner at 6 pm (like us in Malaysia), people would stare with astonishment.

By 730pm local Barca time, we couldn't wait any longer and decided to have dinner, whether it was considered early or not in the eyes of locals.

Mr C, the rice fan, was waiting to try out local spanish paella.


HUGE pan of rice came on our table. Rice = super banyak. Prawns = super kecil and kurang. Some clams and chopped bits of scallops were added in also. Not the best paella I've tried, as the rice was still a bit undercooked.

The sangria, was superb. Sweet, tangy and the only thing missing was.. A JUGful of it. Taking into account of our jetlag and having to wake up early next morning, I took a raincheck on the idea of having a jug of sangria.

730 pm Barca time, was 130 am Malaysia time. My tummy was in sleep mode already. Not feeling very hungry, I ordered tapas instead, which came along with my glass of sangria. One slice with jamon (pork), minced pork meat blended with cheese, and torched goat's cheese.
The sliced french loaf was cold and hard (not sure if locals loved ém like this but I would prefer them to be warm, crunchy and toasted).

The jamon was porkified, my breath smelt of it after a slice. Similar taste to our local dried meat, bakkua. The middle one tasted like spam, not to my liking.


This was my favourite :) Smelly goat's cheese, torched and grilled over a thin layer of caramelized sugar. Initially, over the first bite, the smelliness would drive your tastebuds up the wall. After taking several bites more, I started to like its taste. Much like drinking wine.

My colleague on the other hand, totally disliked it. One bite was enough to tell him that his next bite would kill off his entire appetite.

Total damage: Euro 27.

No comments: