Sunday, November 11, 2007

Biba's Cafe@Mandarin Oriental, KL

Demona: I had a nice Sunday brunch with my aunts at Biba's cafe in Mandarin Oriental. It was a very cozy looking all day dining cafe, a dimly lited place with a bit of sunlight coming, decorated with giant paintings on the walls, rattan ironed chairs, wooden tables and sofas with mini pillows.

It was not surprising to me at all that Mandarin Oriental had won the best hotel award. Even if the hotel had came with the best design, offering a wide range of facilities, it would not be impressive at all if its service was poor. The staffs working at the cafe was tip top friendly. I noticed how diligent they were. Always on the look out for the customers, offering help without the customers asking.

The following were the food which I had tried out. Knowing that this was a buffet meal, I obviously had to eliminate certain choices from my tummy shelf. This place offered a wide range of choices in terms of variety of food. They have a chef on stand by for orders for stir fry and grilled food. This place offered local delicacies, a sushi bar, and some western dishes such as pasta, spaghetti and roast meat, and a big counter just for desserts.



Demona: Cheese! I took a piece of cracker and some cheddar, brie and goat's cheese. The brie reminded me of Melbourne. It was the winner among the three choices. It was really smooth, melted in my mouth. SLURPS.



Demona: The smoked salmon was lovely, with a slight hint of salt.



Demona: This was a pict of the "Londeh" dish. Spicy stewed vegetables, comprising of cauliflowers, brinjals, tofus and glass noodles. An interesting dish as well, with its nature being chilli spicy, it opened up my appetite further.



Demona: This was the pict of the spicy marinated baked chicken. It released a strong spicy aroma, which caught my attention. Hence, I took a piece of it. The meat was extremely tender, de-boned and the taste was actually locked in the meat. Very well marinated. What you'd smelt was what you'd gotten.



Demona: This was a pict of the roast beef. The colour turned out reddish because the beef was placed under a yellow light.



Demona: This was the sliced beef from the roast beef above. It was medium cooked, and the meat complemented so well with the pommens mustard (lying next to the meat). It was actually pretty good. I liked it. The grilled tiger prawn with sour cream was lying next to my roast beef. It was grilled to perfection. Very, very tasty.



Demona: This was the pict of the plate with miniature desserts. I tried the first two from the left. The squarish chocolate cake was delicious! It comprised of layers of biscuit, chocolate cream and caramel. HEAVENLY! The yellow layered one tasted downright wierd. Extremely sourish and I could not tell which flavour I should be tasting out.



Demona: This was the pict of all the desserts which were made in cups or glasses. Unfortunately, I only ate the raspberry chocolate and vanilla mousse. My tummy was not able to accomodate any more spaces to try more of these.



Demona: This was a pict of the blueberry cheese cake. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! Whoever the baker was, he/she was very sincere in adding the blueberries in. I could see many blueberries inside the cake with jam swirls. The cheese cake was very dense, with a thinly layered biscuit crust below. The cake practically melted in my mouth. The only word that popped up in my mind was " MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm..............". Then, the next scoop came, and another, and another.



Demona: This was a pict of the chocolate fudge cake. I am a widely known CHOCO-holic. My eyes widened and gleamed when I saw this cake. Juices salivating in me mouth. Alas! MAJOR disappointment. The cake was extremely dry and crumbly. No where near, even average. It had a beautiful outlook, but worth nothing on the inside.



Demona: I took a scoop of coffee ice cream, added in some macadamias, chocolate flakes and drizzled vanilla sauce all over. The coffee ice cream, was... orgasmic. Its texture was so smooth, and the taste of coffee was moderately strong. I was quite thrilled to the fact that most of their desserts were not too sweet. At least, you are able to squeeze in some spaces for more desserts. SMILES. SMILES. SMILES.



Demona: This was a pict of the spread for the ice cream toppings. There were pistachios, biscottis, home made biscuits, MACADAMIAS !! (slurps!), chocolate flakes, cherry, vanilla and blueberry sauce.


Demona: This was a pict of a chocolate and vanilla mousse. This dessert was extremely delicious! The chocolate layer on the top remained melted, thus, when I scooped up a portion, the chocolate flowed in. It had a mild, subtle sweetness, and both mousses practically melted in my mouth. Definitely, a grade A sin to finish it up, but I just could not stop digging in!



Verdict: My aunt picked up the tab. She did not want to reveal the price per pax for this brunch buffet. I am guessing at a range for RM 60 to RM 70 per person. It is not easy to locate a good buffet meal, with many of them being focused on quantity rather than quality. However, Biba's cafe proved this otherwise. Although, I had seen bigger varieties in other buffet meals, this one by far, had most dishes turned out tasting delicious. Want to give this place a try, Dogma?

To end this post, a gorgeous view, at the car park to relax your mind, chill out and ease you on your digestion after a warm and hearty brunch.

No comments: