Saturday, November 24, 2007

Little Penang Cafe@Curve



Demona: We had dinner at Little Penang Cafe in The Curve, in conjunction with my colleague (YY)'s birthday.



Demona: My colleague, ordered the-20 minutes-waiting-time-required fried kuey teow, but surprisingly his food arrived within 10 minutes. Apparently, the cafe's fried kuey teow is one of its must-order food here.

You could see 3, relatively big prawns and some crab meat on top of the kuey teow. I tried a little bit to taste, and he was kind enough to give me 1 of the prawns. The texture of the kuey teow was quite smooth, similar to the kuey teow that you eat in Ipoh. However, it was a little too oily for my liking. If I were to finish it by myself, my tummy would've definitely felt uneasy from the excess oil. This cost RM 9.00.



Demona: The birthday girl ordered the ruby chestnut dessert. The bowl came looking really pretty alright (I love anything red!) I had a spoonful of it. It was quite sweet, however it was lacking coconut milk. The ice shavings were also not fine enough, so I had to munch a little bit to melt down the ice rather than it just melting in your mouth. This cost RM 4.50.

Another worthy try of the ruby chestnut dessert, is in Sri Melaka! Very fine ice shavings with the right amount of coconut milk!



Demona: My other colleague ordered the cendol, for this after kuey-teow dessert. (Absolutely, artery clogging). I tried this at the branch in KLCC once. It was quite good actually. They did not stinge on the ingredients. You would have more than enough of the starch noodles with green food colouring, red beans, coconut milk and gula melaka. YUMMY! This cost RM 4.50.

For those who have smaller tummy spaces, it is best to share it with someone else after a main course meal to avoid feeling over stuffed later on.



Demona: Another colleague of mine ordered the Mee Siam, a dish of thin rice and egg based noodles, in spicy, sweet and sour soup. It was served with salted soy beans, dried bean curd, boiled egg, tamarind and garnished with spring onions and fried shallots. I tried a spoonful of the soup. It was really good! As explained on the menu, I could taste and distinguish all three flavours combined. This cost RM 9.00.




Demona: I ordered the chicken nasi lemak. Unfortunately, they only serve the drumsticks. I guessed that it was probably because these were all pre-made and packed nicely prior to serving and only re-heated upon an order.

The gravy for the chicken was lovely! Spicy and sweet! However, I would much prefer it to be more on the rendang side. Nevertheless, sweet bliss!

The rice was also quite good as well. You could taste the coconut milk locked into the rice and they do not stick together. However, the serving lacked enough fried anchovies and groundnuts. I finished them before I reached half of my meal. This cost RM 9.00.



Demona: The close up shot of the chicken. YUMMYYYYYYYY.



Demona: I wiped the gravy clean with a lot of food left on my plate. My colleague was kind enough get more gravy for me! And yes, I wiped the bowl of gravy clean too.



Demona: Being a chilli gobbler, no sambal is enough for me without a second go! Wiped it clean as well. I knew that my tummy was going to have a happy burning sensation later on.

Verdict: The meal cost us RM 43.00. The profit margin for the cafe was definitely high. Dishes like these are very, much cheaper, and very much tastier if you eat them at hawker stalls. However, we couldn't complain much as we had clean, proper tables to dine in, cooling air conditioning and people serving us. Little Penang Cafe will not be a regular visit eatery to me.

No comments: