Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Restaurant@SS3, Kelana Jaya



Demona: I had a family dinner here (9 of us in total) and this was my first visit to this restaurant. The place was pretty packed, so I guessed the food must be pretty good.

The first dish that came was the sizzling hot plate tofu with minced pork and eggs. The pict was a little blurry due to the hot steam coming up from the plate. The tofus were well fried, none got burnt and they did blend quite well with the pork and eggs. I should try cooking this in Dogma's place on my next trip down!



Demona: This was the garlic stir-fried potato leaves. I love this vegetable very much, but sadly, this restaurant offered a poor rendition of it. The glossy look from the pict showed how oily the vegetables were. Way too oily for my liking.



Demona: This was the claypot chicken cooked with salted fish. This dish was so so. I wasn't too impressed by it. It was basically chicken pieces stir fried with thick and thin soy sauce. Once the sauce was locked in, small bite sizes of salted fish were added and stir fried along with the chicken pieces.



Demona: This was the dried chilli pork. The pork slices were a little overcooked I suppose. The meat was a bit too tough, making the process of chewing it down feeling a little rubbery. Again, the dish was cooked with too much of oil. You could see how glossy it looked.



Demona: This was the assam curry fish. They can improve more on the sauce as I found it being little too watery. It would have been much better if less water was added, so that the sauce had a slightly more paste-like texture. However, the sourness and spiciness of the sauce was just at the right level.

The fish was pretty fresh as well. I had been told that this was the Talapia fish. There was ample meat on this fish. The meat was tangy, bouncy, and it had no fishy sea-like smell. If the sauce was thicker, this dish would have been perfect!

They could ease on the oil (AGAIN) as well. You could see the floating reddish oil from the pict.

Verdict: The dinner cost RM 133. The price was pretty reasonable I think, as the portion of the dishes given were relatively big. All 9 of us were left feeling very full. I wouldn't say this was an excellent chinese restaurant (I had tasted better ones out there), but it was relatively quite nice and no pockets were burnt. The only slack part was the excessive oil usage in the dishes. If only they eased on this aspect. My uncle even made a joke saying that the owner of Happy Restaurant must have been an owner of an oil company as well, since they were so sincere on their cooking oil distribution.

No comments: