Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Chiku Chips@Home

Demona: DARN! I forgotten to take the picture of the small onion, chestnut like thing which mom bought to thinly slice and fry into chips. She only knows it as "CHIKU", unsure of what the English term is for it. I googled on it as well and failed to find out its name. Does anyone know? Do drop me a message! PLEASE!



Demona: The "chiku" is small in size, thus yield of one, being thinly sliced is low. From what I observed, frying these chips required a lot of effort. Even mom said that frying this involved a lot of work.



Demona: The chips were really yummy! They tasted sweet and salty, and the texture was crunchy. Somehow or rather, the oil did not over adsorb itself into the chip which you normally get in many types (eg: tapioca, potato) causing them to release a pungent oily odour.

Verdict: After making a full small tin, mom decided that these chips will only be made for our own family consumption and not to be given out as the workload was too much for her. It is no wonder that the chiku chips are sold with a golden price tag in the market!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought they are called "nga ku" in cantonese...
anyway, they are known as 'arrowhead roots' in english! :D

foodventura said...

Hi there,

Haha, yeah. I found out from my colleague as well. Many people do not know what it is called too anyway.

Learnt something new, thanks!

Anonymous said...

If i'm not mistaken, those are called "Chinese Arrowhead" (Sagittaria sagittifolia). They are not to be confused with "Arrowroot".
And boy, do they taste good when fried...(";)

freeze85 said...

I am also making the chips. It is called arrowhead in english. You can find it in prime supermarkets and NTUC. But they only appear near Chinese New Year.

Any1 know how to maintain its fresheness. The next day after I fried it, it lost it crispiness.. Any1 can tell me the reason why? Please drop me an email at freeze85@gmail.com

Thanks