Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kaya "Kok" (Puff)@Aulong, Taiping

Demona: Kaya Kok! Ohhhh.. Kaya Kok! A small, single storey house, located in one of the little roads of Aulong was converted into a mini bakery, producing only kaya puffs. Due to the coming festive Chinese New Year, the owner also made some cookies for sale as well.

The kaya puffs made here are the greatest! I have tried the kaya puffs from various places but they could never match up to the ones made here! There was a giant tub of bubbly steaming hot, freshly made kaya near the oven. The kaya looked *drooling* yummy!



Demona: The size of the kaya puff was fairly big. The pastry was quite thick, yet flaky. The texture made each bite... HEAVENLY!



Demona: Having delicious pastry skin will not make this kaya puff such a major blast without the STAR ingredient... the kaya filling! The light brown coloured kaya tasted sweet, egg-like, with a mixture of caramel and crumbly texture. It is very hard to find a decent kaya puff because most of them never aced in both key points, the filling and the pastry skin.

Verdict: It comes in a pack of 5 puffs. Due to the recent increase in flour and sugar, the baker has also raised the praise of a pack, from the usual RM 3.50 to RM 4.00. Nevertheless, each piece still cost RM 0.80, which is cheaper than the average one that you can get here (usually around RM 1.00-RM 1.20, sometimes, even more).

Kaya Kok. You shall always be near in my heart. SLURPS!

3 comments:

Christina Kim said...

Oooo...I didn't know Taiping had Kaya Kok...I only know abt the one in an old village in Ipoh; really famous for their Kaya Kok (heard from my relatives)

foodventura said...

Hi Christy,

I have never tried the kaya puffs in Ipoh, but I do hear great reviews about them from other people as well. Will definitely give it a try on my next trip to Ipoh.

I'm sorry I don't know the address of the shop that I bought the KKs from, but I'll find out for you. :)

Thanks for dropping by btw !

foodventura said...

Btw Christy,

Would it be cool with you with we exchange links?

Let me know :)