Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mei Keng Fatt Seafood Restaurant@Kuala Ampang



Mei Keng Fatt (MKF) Seafood Restaurant boasts an unimaginable range of cooking styles and ingredients, you name it, they've got it. This is one chinese restaurant that draws the palate attention of both, locals and foreigners. This was my fourth trip here, and yet, I still saw many tables of foreigners hungrily devouring away their meals.



This was just ONE corner of the big area where they kept all their fresh seafood.



A BIG, BIG, kitchen, with a BIG, BIG group of chefs, to serve MKF's BIG, BIG group of hungry customers.




The 1st course
Demona: My first yee sang for the year. While everyone was busy lou sang-ing up the prosperity yee sang, wishing for good health, luck, will etc., I was trying to keep my hand still to take a good shot, which ended up in vain. Therefore, I had to take it from my own bowl.



The 2nd course
Demona: This was called the " Special Four Dish Prosperity Platter". The dish came with a miniature statue made of orange coloured salt, which got everyone excited over it. The presentation of the four dishes were quite impressive alright, but its taste did not agree with its looks.

The fish and meat ball dish were pretty normal, quite salty. The yam based bowl filled with vegetables and cashew nuts were not bad. The yam was quite smooth, salty, with a deep fried crunchy outer layer. The baby octopus was similar to what you get in a Japanese restaurant, but they should have chilled rather than freezed them. Each bite gave a sudden sharp intense ache to my teeth. I needed... SENSODYME!



The 3rd course
Demona: This was the braised shark fin's soup with crab meat. I actually felt a bit bad eating it because of the way the shark was killed for its fin is too cruel. High demand from consumers will encourage higher rate of trade for shark's fins.

Anyway, this dish was extremely delicious, with a big brownie point on its quality. I could see ample crab meat (take a look at the pict. I dug the crab meat out to make the pict looked more yummy!) and numerous strips of shark's fin in just one tiny bowl. The soup was also thick and sticky, unlike the lousy ones which you normally eat in most chinese weddings.



The 4th course
Demona: This was the steamed river patin fish with orange peel and black bean. I love eating fish meat that requires my minimal effort, eg: few bones, chunky meat.. preferably cut nicely already (I confess.. I'm lazy!) The fish meat was already cut into squarish chunky pieces and individually deep fried before coating them with orange sauce.

The taste was strange! It also had a funky smell. I am not sure if the cause was the cooking oil being not fresh or the batter used for frying contained too much butter in it. It totally covered the taste of the fish meat.



The 5th course.
Demona: Baked prawns with creamy butter milk and corn. I love prawns, and I love butter prawns cooking style, but I absolutely LOVE BIG, FAT, JUICY butter prawns! Ok, Dogma.. not to worry.. the prawns did not win you.

This dish was yummylicious! The butter milk was salty, spicy and they were all glued onto the prawn shells, thus it made the shell peeling so.... delicious!



I took a long, painstaking 90 minutes walk on the treadmill, burning a whopping 600 kcal and all efforts were gone to waste with a spoonful of .... THIS! The pure creamy, butter milk bits and corn cooked with the prawns... horribly sinful but horribly addictive! My ambition to mould myself into Jessica Alba's body suddenly became more vague, and I breezed flights of steps nearer to felicity. HMMM ? !



The 6th course.
Demona: Fried mix vegetables, which included broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom, baby corn, carrots, and "foo chuk" (bean curd skin). There was nothing to shout about for this dish. It was a typical vegetable dish, drizzled on with a fairly sticky salty sauce (similar to oyster sauce).



The 7th course.
Demona: Each of us had a small bowl of noodles fried with some asparagus, pork slices and bits of squid meat. The noodles were just too oily for consumption. From the pict, you could see how glistened the noodles looked! I did not like it at all. I gave my bowl to my brother. A growing boy can afford to earn some extra calories.





The 8th course.
Demona: Dessert time! The sinfully, buttery, pan fried sweet lotus and red bean paste pastry and a bowl of sugar syrup with longans and sea coconut slices. Although all of us were so full that our gastrointestinial tracts would burst anytime soon, we managed to stuffed these last few bits in. KA-POW! *burst*



My eccentric uncle always seemed really hyped whenever I'm taking picts of food. He insisted that I took the pict of his submerged mandarin orange tea. I had no idea why he threw the orange in anyway, oh well.. his eccentric persona is what makes him, my funky 3rd uncle.

Verdict:
This course meal was quoted at RM 568 / 10 pax. On top of that, tea cost us an extra RM 20. OUCH! The total bill came up to a whopping RM 617.40, after addition of the ++ taxes. I'd much preferred the dishes which I had on my previous trip here. We had a crab dish and the claw was as big as my palm! I was giggling away deliriously, as if I was high on magic mushrooms while chewing down the juicy, chunky crab meat. Although the number of dishes were less, the bill was around RM 500 and it was definitely more satisfying than this one.

All in all, MKF is a pretty decent chinese seafood restaurant but I strongly believe there are many out there which can put up a good fight or even win MKF!

2 comments:

Christina Kim said...

Wow...really a delightfully scrumptious meal!
I love it that it's all seafood!!:D:D

foodventura said...

Hey babes,

Yeah! Especially the prawns. Many great seafood restaurants out there to venture and review in future! Any recommendations?