Saturday, February 16, 2008

Reunion Steamboat Dinner@Demona's home

It's Chinese New Year time again. Steamboat dinner on the night of the eve is a standard ritual that my family carries out year in, year out. My relatives will rush home to gather for this hot, steamy, spicy event!



Demona: My mom bakes this lovely, soft and moist marble butter cake every CNY.



Demona: MMMMMMMMM.... deliciouso!



Demona: Boiled quail eggs! Small and cute... :( Felt kasihan (pitiful) eating them. But boyyyy, oh boyyy... they tasted good :(


Demona: Some steamboat meat dumplings



Demona: Yee sang lou high high!


Demona: Mommy's own made wan tan! My brother had to help her wrap all those meat up. With a sincere portion of deliciously marinated pork meat wrapped in the wan tan skin home made by a hawker in the Taiping market, spells a fantastic wan tan! Unlike those almost meatless, over fried, lousy ones you get in many hawker stalls these days.



Demona: More steamboat stuffs!



Demona: I am sorry.. ikan bawal.. my mommy had chopped you up like this :(


Demona: Giant prawns! Slurps! They tasted so good in the tom yam soup. Slack part was having to peel off the skin. (DOGMA! Can you peeeeeeellllll for me, pretty please?) My cousin was too lazy to peel that he ate the whole thing up. See what laziness can do to people!



Demona: MORE steamboat stuffs! ( My tummy's going to blow!)


Demona: The chicken soup steam boat side. My parents and the rest of the "adults" usually sit at this table.


Demona: WHILE, the younger ones (us, children) took one the spicier side of the dinner. TOM YAM SOUP! Year in, year out and we still stayed on digging food from this pot.



Demona: I am a known fan of squid/cuttlefish. Everytime someone finds one, he/she will toss it into my bowl. THANK YOU ALL! For feeding my growling tummy, and boosting my cholesterol level way up high!

Verdict: Dogma may not agree on eating food that are factory made at home, but if mom was to prepare food for so many people, she would have died of exhaustion by CNY. Besides, the most important thing was that everyone of us had a great time eating, and catching up the family bonding moments.

I love my family. SMUACKS. GIONG HI HUAT CHAI!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

any changes coming ?