Wednesday, February 20, 2008

YY and J's big treat@La La Chong, Old Subang Airport


Demona: My colleagues, YY and J were awarded with a cash bonus for their excellent work. They decided to take the team (there were 8 of us) for a salty, seafood treat! This was my first trip here to La La Chong, a seafood restaurant located opposite the Old Subang Airport.

The place was PACKED when I got there on a Monday (working day) evening. I only realised that this place was halal when I noticed some Malays eating on some tables. Packed = Noisy. I had to scream my lungs out to get my message through to my colleague who sat opposite of me.

Looking at the crowd, I was thinking in my mind that the food must be "HO CHIAK AH!".



Demona: This was the claypot tofu with mixed vegetables. This dish tasted so so. I guess this dish's taste had been pretty similar everywhere around. Salty, sticky brownish sauce, with the usual french beans, cauliflowers, mushrooms, small prawns and squids accompanying the tofus. The portion was fairly huge though, enough for each to have a big tofu piece. This cost RM 18.



Demona: My favourite butter prawns! This dish was ... UMPH UMPH UMPH UMPH! The buttery eggy shreds thoroughly coated the gigantic prawns! (They were about the size of my clenched fist) I hate peeling the shell of the prawns but for this, I am smiling my way through peeling the shells off these fat, sweet, tender and juicy prawns. This cost RM 51. The portion was also enough for everyone to have 2 or 3 prawns each.



Demona: Just look at how beautiful it was! My colleague, P and I also scooped up the leftover buttery egg shreds bits that were left on the plate and eating them just like that. HORRIBLY sinful! But.. *utter speechless* They were DELICIOUSSSSSSSS....



Demona: This was the steamed patin fish. GROANS, GROANS, GROANS. I was going through a FISH trauma as I just had 214 fish earlier in the afternoon. The fish was average. Too much of spring onions were added to the fish, overpowering the taste of the meat. This dish cost, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY.. *Sobs* RM 48. The fish was BIG, enough for EIGHT to eat, compared for RM 214.90, enough for THREE to eat. ...............*toot*



Demona: An upclose pict of the patin fish meat. :( Sigh.



Demona: In conjunction with the CNY period, we also LOU SANG-ed as well. Well, I was only aiming for the salmon. Haha. The lou sang set cost RM 30.



Demona: This was the stir fried "Choi Tam" with garlic. A little oily, but enjoyable to eat. This cost RM 16.



Demona: When this dish came, we were all excited thinking that this was the "Lai Lui Har" (pissing prawns), because, the look of the dish was awfully similar. When I took my first bite, I realised that this was not the pee-ing prawns but chicken meat instead. The gooeyness of the outer parts were the skin of the chicken. URKS. The taste was quite okay, but I did not return for second tries. This cost RM 19.



Demona: WELL... If we flew all the way here, and NOT order LA LA from LA LA CHONG Seafood Restaurant, we should kick ourselves hard in the butt. Hence, the LA LA dish was on our table. I have never been a shell dish fan, but I do eat just for try outs sake. This, was truly disappointing to me. I would think that this should be the BEST dish of all for the owners to name their shop with its name.

BUT, it was not even close to reaching 4th place from our 6 course dinner. The LA LAs were small, and tasteless. This dish cost RM 21.



Demona: We decided on ordering "WOH PENG", a after-dinner dessert that people usually have, especially in weddings. The Woh Peng, is a deep fried thin layered pastry with sweet fillings, usually red bean and lotus paste. However overstuffed Chinese people get after a crazy 6, 8, or even 10 course dinner, they will still cleanly wipe up the desserts. THAT, includes us. This dish cost RM 12.



Demona: Anything red bean..... I LIKE OH. I think when I open my own bakery one day, I shall make a damn kick ass delicious red bean bun which is hard to find these days in bakeries!

Verdict: The total bill for 8 pax, including drinks (eg: fruit drinks and coconut), 6 dishes, 1 yee sang, came up to RM 288 (ONLY!) SIGH. Versus, RM 305, for 3 dishes, tea for 3 ONLY. Bloody rip off.

The dishes were so so, but the butter prawns did stood out from the rest. My humble honest opinion: There are many seafood restaurants out there which offer better food than the ones from this place. The affordable price may be the factor that is drawing the crowd here, I guess.

Well, at the end of the day, the food turned out to be enjoyable because of the great company that we had during dinner, PLUS... IT WAS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. hahaha.

Thanks again, YY and J, for the treat!

No comments: