Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Cafe De Amigo@Funan Centre

A makanSession at Cafe de Amigo. I was partially down with cold and that probably numbed my palate a little. The food at the restaurant was average at best and the wine tonight was average.

The veal I had was dry, cold and lacking in any flavour. It's like a piece of dead meat waiting for you to swallow into your tummy's acid pool. Probably the chef was overwhelmed by the high volume of guest tonight (>100), resulting in mediocre food throughout the night. I would not revisit this outlet again as life is too short to waste on unnecessary calories.
Pal Roger Rose 1996
Eye: Intense honey golden with hue of strawberry red
Nose: Open up after 30mins with hints of honey, bread and citrus. Intense mocha backbone
Palate: It was slight bitter, with hints of mocha, honey, brioche. The body is lacking in complexity, mid and some acid. Purity could be better too. I do not think this wine could be kept for 20-30years but it should develop and peak for the next 5-8 years. Enjoyable!


De Bortoli Cab Sav 1998 (bought from uncle Lim)
EYE: Inky purplish Red
Nose: Intense nose of cassis, leather, currant and some herbal backbone. This baby awakens me from the previous flight of burgundian reds
Palate: Fine firmed tannins, with good amount of herbs,currant, leather. Most of the diners thought it was a Margaux/Bordeaux left bank. It was a beautiful and good value new world red that is very similar style to the old world. Probably what could be improved was the purity and acid.
I'd tasted a superb Parker Estate 98 and now this bottle, which convinced me of the superior vintage of 1998. I am drooling over my other bottles of Fox creek, E&T, Tatachila 98 cav sav.

CH Les Justice Sauternes 1998
Eye: Golden honey
Nose: Herbal honey
Palate: Light honey dancing on the palate with good hints of herbal. Could aged further to bring out more tertiary notes.

The line up of wines on my table. Mainly burgundy reds. The best dish of the night.. Lobster Bisque. Fragrant sweet lobster simmered in a thick broth. This is the only dish i'd enjoyed tonight.

2 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

I was wondering where is this place located?

Dogma said...

hi big boys oven,
the restaurant is at
#02-15 Funan DigitaLife Mall @ 109 North Bridge Road, Singapore. Not a fantastic dinner I had there but the wine selection and wine price is pretty affordable. They have daily jazz performance as well.