Sunday, December 16, 2007

Mom's cooking@Home



Demona: I was back home for a weekend break. Mom cooked her signature popiah (spring rolls) dish for us. She makes the best popiah that I've ever tasted! These were the ingredients which she had cooked. The ingredients ranged from pork slices, lettuce leaves, boiled bean sprouts, prawns, eggs, tofu chunky pieces, carrots, radish, long beans, home made chilli paste and sweet sauce.



Demona: This was the pot of radish stewed with "Bark Phuey" (pork skin), for few hours to lock the flavour into the radish. Mom makes this dish really, really, really well! I am a big fan of squids, and thinking those which I saw inside the pot were squid meat, I took a few pieces of them to eat as well.

Upon eating the second piece, I noticed short stubble hairs on its skin surface, something like what you can see on a man's goatee. Feeling confused, I asked my mom on how was it possible to have hair on a squid. She burst out laughing, and told me that it was pork skin, and not squid. The reason why hair was present on the skin was that it was not meant to be eaten but for flavouring purposes. I felt sick right after. Looking at this picture again, made me a little nauseated too.



Demona: Wrapping my own popiah! Soaked my popiah with tons of chilli paste.



Demona: Ta-dah! DIY popiah! I think I wacked down at least 4 popiah for that lunch meal.



Demona: Another signature dish from mom! Her "Bark Kien" (meat rolls wrapped with beancurd skin and deep fried). Till today, no where else makes better Bark Kien than my own mom. NO WHERE ELSE. If she sells this, she'll make big bucks. I promise Dogma to let him try out the next time we're both back home.



Demona: YET another signature dish from mom! I guess she really pampers us well. Everytime any of us are home, she'll cook our favourite dishes! My mom makes one of the best prawn crackers I've ever eaten. Many friends of hers already asked for her recipe, and even with it, they can never make the crackers as perfect as my mom's. They're flavourful, crunchy but airy in the middle, and her chilli flavoured ones are even tastier!



Demona: This is one of my personal favourite dishes. Her chilli chicken dish. Its curry-like, yet not too "lemak" unlike other chicken curry dishes which make me feeling uneasy all over if I had too much of them. She usually chooses boneless thigh chicken meat chunks, then stew them with the curry paste, until the meat become tender and the sauce thickens. YUMMY!!



Demona: This is also another vegetable dish which she cooks really, really well. Its a spicy dish, with a mixture of tofu, chillies, long beans, carrot chunks and pork fat slices. The choice of vegetables are of the crunchy texture, making each bite a real kick! SLURPS!

Verdict: Home cooked food in always the most hearty, tastiest, and most importantly, sincere!

No comments: