Saturday, December 22, 2007

Oriental Pavillion@Jaya33, Section 14, PJ.



Demona: My cousin sister took us out for a dim sum brunch treat at the Oriental Pavillion, in Jaya33. This sister branch had just recently opened here. She has a VIP card, therefore she is entitled for a 20% discount. Since my cousin was the one footing the bill, my aunts took the opportunity to order A LOT of dim sums with big smiles on their faces.



Demona: Yummy wummy char siew pao to start the day! The sauce was thick and juicy, which coated the fairly chunky char siew meat inside very well. Although I found the sauce being a little too sweet and the skin being a little too thick for my taste buds, overall, this tasted very much nicer compared to many places which I had eaten.



Demona: My brother and my 2 aunts each ate a "Loh Mai Kai". I do not favour this dish, but according to my brother, it was too oily. I guessed he was right, considering how shiny it looked on the picture. However, the portion was pretty big for one though.



Demona: The regular MUST HAVEs in dim sum meals, the Siew Mai. I enjoyed the Siew Mai very much because the prawn and pork meat inside were very chunky, crunchy and juicy! You could actually bite the crunchy roes while eating it. One of the better Siew Mais which I had eaten so far.



Demona: This was the black bean steamed pork ribs. I did not get a chance to try it because I was busy taking picts of other dim sum dishes. SIGH. Must had been delicious because it was quickly finished by them.



Demona: Another MUST HAVEs for dim sum meals. Har Kaus. The style of making this dish was similar to the ones I ate in Ming Room. They added spring onions bits with the prawn meat. However, they failed to accomplish this dish as good as Ming Room. The medal still goes to Ming Room!



Demona: These were the pan fried dumplings. I must say, they tasted pretty good. The skin was not thick and the ingredients were very flavourful. They gave too little ginger slices though.



Demona: My aunt ordered the porridge. There were mushroom slice, pork meat chunks and some spring onions in it. I believed that it must have tasted quite nice because she quickly ate a quarter of it before I could snap a pict. You could see that the porridge in the bowl was less already.



Demona: This was the mango prawn rolls. The mango flavour was incorporated into the mayonaise sauce instead of the mango bits inside the prawn rolls. This dish was very oily, I did not favour it. The mayonaise sauce was interestingly delicious though!



Demona: This is another prawn roll wrapped with beancurd skin and deep fried. The prawn meat was chunky and juicy and the taste of the beancurd skin was strong. It was also very oily, but tasty! It blended really well with the vinegar. I would have enjoyed it whole heartedly if they had eased on the oil.



Demona: My aunts ordered way too many prawn dishes. No idea why. This is another prawn dish, with prawn meat wrapped in a wantan skin and deep fried. I did not like this, AT ALL. The smell and taste of the oil overpowered the food, and it made me felt uneasy after eating it.



Demona: This is the pan fried carrot cake. Too oily, AGAIN. I did not like it.
I was telling my aunt that the fried dishes were mainly very oily, and this is one aspect which they could improve on.



Demona: This is a half bitten piece of a "Wu Kok". Too buttery, and oily. Half a piece was more than enough for me.

Verdict: The meal bill for the 6 of us, came up to about RM 148, after discount. I think, dim sum is becoming a more expensive meal from time to time. An average dim sum basket cost around RM 6 to RM 7. This place does not offer a big variety of dim sum choices but the steamed dishes were fairly good I must say. If they can lay off the extra added oil on the fried dishes, this place will definitely gain more brownie points from me. I can bring Dogma over for a brunch treat next time around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

please do put up address and contact details of your restaurants / eating places you visit. Otherwise whats the point of telling us how good the food is , but don't know how to get to it

foodventura said...

Dear Lincoln,

Sure sure, will do from the new posts onwards.

Thanks for the feedback yeah.

Btw, have you tried anything else nice in Jaya33?