Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Koon Kee Clayport Rice@Damansara Jaya



Demona: I had dinner here once with an old friend, but we called for dishes instead. He told me to try out the claypot chicken rice on my next trip here, as it supposedly tastes really good, and I was convinced enough by seeing a pot at almost every table in the restaurant. Dogma came down for the weekened, and we were nearby nearing dinner time, thus I decided to make my way here. We ordered a small portion, with lap cheong, egg, and salted fish.



Demona: While it was still sizzling hot, I took the giant metal spoon and thoroughly stirred to mix the egg and soy sauce evenly on the rice. The hot steam from the rice and the smell of the salted fish, was making both of us salivating already! Check out the giant piece of lap cheong! This dish cost us RM 7.30.



Demona: You can't NOT have this around, when I am present.



Demona: We ordered the "Yau Mak Choy", type of lettuce, a slightly smaller version of the romaine lettuce stir fried with fermented beancurd. This is one of Dogma's favourite dish. The sauce was nicely thickened, enough to stick to the vegetables, making each bite crunchy and yet juicy! The chef placed some crunchy, deep fried tiny anchovies on top of the vegetables as their dressing. SLURPS! This dish cost us RM 5.



Demona: The last time I came here with my friend, he ordered some pork ribs which came in giant chunks and extremely tender and juicy! The problem was that I could not recall the exact dish he asked for. I took a wild guess and asked for the marmite pork ribs.

It came not in big chunks, but rather already chopped into smaller pieces. The pork ribs tasted alright to me, but not to Dogma's tastings. He mentioned he had tried better ones than these. Must ask him to bring me to the better ones next time around!
This dish cost us RM 10.



Demona: I am not a giant fan of this dish, and I personally thought that this place served pretty alright claypot chicken rice, not the best I've tried, but pretty alright. I AM a giant fan of the burnt rice on the bottom of the claypot though! The woody, charcoal aroma from the burnt rice, and the somehow crunchy caramelised texture of the it just made it wonderful!



Demona: I scraped the bowl clean! The waitress came over with the intention of taking the pot away thinking that we were done eating, but I had to stop her from stealing the precious 'gold' away! Dogma even said that I should have skipped ordering the claypot rice and instead, asked around for nearing empty pots to scrape off the burnt parts because I looked so much more happier eating that than the chicken rice itself.

Verdict: This whole meal cost about RM 24, including two drinks. Pretty decent for the amount of food we were eating. Not the best claypot rice in town, but pretty worth the money and we did not wait overly long for our meal to arrive. This place is catered more towards the people living around this more quieter neighbourhood.

No comments: