Saturday, March 29, 2008

Oasis Restaurant@Seri Manjung, Perak

Demona: This was my first trip to Seri Manjung. The layout of SM is pretty similar with other smaller towns, with bits and pieces of modernization seen at certain prime areas, yet its humble, down-to-earth, laid back presence is still there. One thing about SM though... the weather was INCREDIBLY, UNBELIEVABLY, VOLCANIC HOT! It was even hotter than Ipoh. We were almost roasted till well done there.

After finishing our work, my GPS-boss directed us to Oasis, with an intention to treat us "Shark's Fin".



Demona: This was Oasis Restaurant's famous dish, fish belly cooked in sticky, spicy soup, with a texture similar to the Shark Fin soup. This was my boss's interpretation of treating us "Shark's Fin". Well, at least this dish was shark-cruelty free. I must say, the fish belly had a certain funky raw acquired taste, one which I could not accustom to at that moment. I mostly ate the vegetables which were added into the soup, and left the fish bellies for their eating pleasure.

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEihR6Zmezxn4ssjxH0mcXoVVipKr4dGMOppc3_bu_C-uto0b0PW_5rI43YlwWXY2QhNCuaoHBUTpif2dPrFuGNCdup-4WXRq9eJJ2QQ2wt__QZ05dwVXqH0HM2dlVtP1WmKPmOlE8p-SrzV/s1600-h/Picture+031.jpg">

Demona: This was the Phai Kuat Wong, pork ribs coated with sticky sweet sauce and sesame seeds. The pork strips, were a little too fatty for me. Koon Kee Restaurant (in Damansara Jaya) is still the top scorer of this dish.


Demona: The lady owner recommended us this dish, their "Jiu Phai" (star dish) "Tau Fu" dish. The squarish piece of tofu was fairly big, about the size of a small cake box. Fried dried shrimps and onion slices were added on top of the tofu, and finished with a handful of thinly chopped spring onions. The tofu was too salty and oily. A scoopful of it was more than enough for me, any more would get me feeling sickly all over.



Demona: This dish was also another recommendation by the lady owner, the Hong Kong "Yau Mak Choy". Somehow, the YMK tasted different from the one which I ate with Dogma in Koon Kee. The taste and the looks of the vegetable seemed different to me. Don't you think so? View here to see:

http://foodventuras.blogspot.com/2007/12/koon-kee-clayport-ricedamansara.html

Anyway, the YMK which we had here tasted only so so. Nothing much to shout about. I was basically eating the vegetables for fibre intake.



Verdict: My boss footed the bill, or should I say, "headed" the bill. 4 fairly huge portion dishes, 3 plates of rice, and 3 cans of juices, came up to RM 54.30.

The tasting experience was average to me, but in terms of pricing, it was without a doubt, much lower than what you can get in big cities, especially since we ordered fish belly soup, which is in fact, an expensive dish. This lunch meal would be just nice if there was another extra tummy around, instead of 3 tummies.

I foresee my chances of revisiting this place being very low because I believe I will be venturing else where in my next visit to SM.

No comments: