Sunday, October 21, 2007

Taylor's Late Bottled Vintage 2001


Eye: Deep Purplish
Nose: Intense alcohol and raisin upon opening. Reduced to raisin and sugarish nose after 2 days
Front Palate: Big fat sugary coating your tongue.
Mid Palate: sticky raisin coating your tongue
End Palate: short to medium finish.

Price: 45sgd
Rating: 3.2/5
Value: not good value.

Verdict: I have never been a great fan of port. I had tried Croft's 1977, Dow's 1975, Dow's 20 yo tawny and now this LBV 2001 from Taylor's. None of them had impressed me too much. Probably i do not fancy the overpowering alcohol and raisin sugar that just lacking in finess, elegance and complexity. I do not like this LBV straight from the bottle but after 2 days sitting in the fridge, i do enjoy it slightly better as the alcohol heat has reduced significantly.

Why spend on port when u could get better red/whites out there at this price?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments. It was a little too sweet for my liking.

The presence of the raisins smell was overpowering and it was slightly burning, as it trickled down my throat.

You were also right, the fact that it tasted much better after leaving it for a day.

The smell of the raisins were less, but still relatively strong enough to feel them in my mouth for some time.