Friday, April 18, 2008

Annual Cheng Beng Festival@Taiping

Demona: It's been two years since I attended the last Cheng Beng prayers. I am stunned over how innovative the people who made these praying things have become. So much have changed, only in two years. One thing that hasn't changed, was the serene, peaceful, calm atmosphere Cheng Beng created. Somehow rather, it was soothing to see people returning to their elder's graves to pray.



Demona: The regular food used for prayers. Apparently, there are rules where by only certain food can be placed on top and below. My mom and my aunt (uncle's wife) are the only ones in my family who still know all these details. Personally speaking, I am afraid to say that I believe this tradition may possibly disappear in the near future.



Demona: I only know of sticking coloured papers on my great grandparents' grave. This was the first time that I saw snipped bits of shining colourful papers to be sprinkled all over the grave. According to YY, these snippits were SOOOOOO.. last few years news. Gosh, I am totally outdated.



Demona: The creation of paper clothings, money and jewellery get more and more funky, creative and innovative as the years go by. Next time around, space suits maybe?



Demona: It took us FOREVER, to get the two coins to have a head and tail each. I'm guessing, great grandpa and great grandma were too engrossed watching my dad, aunt and uncle playing this old card game (which was to be burnt along for them too).



Demona: KIM TOON KIM TOON! (gold bars gold bars!) PEK KIM TOON PEK KIM TOON!(white gold bar white gold bar!)



Demona: Will I be able to own this much in future?



Demona: XL wallet and watch for grandma? Gosh, she is even more stylish than I am. All that I am carrying is this huge wallet Dogma bought me for my 1st Birthday and a brandless black leather bag. Handphone for her too? How advance has the world below us become?



Demona: All the luxuries were burnt for the elders to receive them. The heat was excruciatingly hot! I was wondering, how will they be able to get hold of all of these things once they were completely burnt into ashes. (great grandpa with a huge ass bag trying to make sure everything that falls into the bag? Sounds pretty funny)



Demona: My grandpa. The kind soul who gave his wife and his and her siblings these three beautiful graves to rest in when they depart from this world.





Demona: Pokok Assam Market's Siohhh Bakkkk! (roast pork). Raw, authentic, home town style. Savoury, salty, some parts were lean, some parts fatty, but finger licking good! Unbelievably good.....

No comments: